Friday, July 22, 2016

Joining in: Summer Solstice QAL

Hi!
Happy summer! Happy 100 degrees from Utah, USA. Truly, I'm melting in a puddle of sweat.

Are you Row x Row shop hopping and swapping like I am? Are you having fun? As if we all needed more projects to Ooh and Ahh over!

I also decided to join in Happy Quilting Melissa Corry's "Summer Solstice" Quilt Along. Seriously, I just love Melissa's designs and QALs. She is so organized, has done all the math, her charts are amazing, and her tutorials are thorough and easy to follow.


Ok, so I haven't done a lot of curved piecing, and certainly haven't done any Drunkard's Path since my very first quilt, but I'm confident this will be easy-peasy. You can't help but be confident with Melissa guiding you!

I'm going to be making the 2x2 layout in the 24" blocks (see above).

I found the awesome fabric I'll be using. Remember that Super Bowl 2014 giveaway that I won from Island Batik ?
http://www.islandbatik.com
The one that totally surprised me, because I had a newborn ? Yeah, in my sleep-deprived state, trolling Facebook and dreaming of quilting while I breastfed, I guessed that the Seattle Seahawks would win the Super Bowl with a certain score, and I won the bundle of Seahawks-inspired batiks! 1/2 yd lime Green, and 1 yd each of Sugar cream, Blue Burst, and grey swirls.


I am using this bundle for my Solstice QAL. Only 2 problems: 1--I needed more cream for background, and it's out-of-print. 2-I needed another print.

I pulled a deep purple piece from the Sweethearts Bundle of Island Batiks that I won for Valentines Day 2014 (geez, apparently, having a newborn is good luck for giveaways). My story is that my quilt will be a Seattle sports dream quilt: pro-football Seahawks and University of Washington Purple Huskies. Ha ha!

I finally found a Kona solid that I was happy with, matching the creamy Sugar batik--Kona Ivory. 



I decided to use the Sugar for DP (Drunkards Path) and FG (Flying Geese), and some of the Squares.

And here are all my piles, cut, marked, and ready to sew! I'm a little behind, but I can catch up!


Yummy, yummy! So far, my experience with Island Batiks is great. The fabrics cut like butter but with a crisp finish, and there is very little raveling along the cut edges. They're soft, but feel sturdy. I'm in love with batiks already, and I haven't even started sewing yet!

Look to my sidebar, and you can see the linky to the Summer Solstice QAL at happyquiltingmelissa.blogspot.com. It's totally free with no pattern to purchase! Come join in!

No comments:

Post a Comment