Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Clean your iron......

.......outside!

This afternoon, I made the smoke alarm in my basement sewing room go off. It scared my little guy and sent my firefighter husband calling down the stairs: "what did you do?!!!!"

You know those center circles for my Dresdens, and all the triangles I cut out yesterday? I've been using starch to set the circles and the squares, because of so much bias while cutting the triangles. After bonding patches to knees in pants, I decided to clean my iron before I work on any more cream-colored sampler blocks!
I use the Dritz Hot Iron Cleaner and stacked squares of scrap muslin. I was not prepared for how much starch can smoke as it is being "burned" and wiped off the iron! Hence the smoke alarm! At least my ironing board is right under the window---but I think this is the first time I've opened the window since we moved in--it is a window well and we've killed black widows in the well before!

So note to self--cleaning a starch iron should be done by an open window with a fan on---or probably outside, like my husband would want me to do!

1 comment:

  1. Hehehehe! Nothing like a firefighters wife to set the alarm off. Lesson learned for you.

    ReplyDelete