Saturday, February 2, 2013


Wow. I got the background flames FMQ done on one fire truck quilt tonight! Whew!
I really wanted a black thread for the bobbin and variegated yellow for the top. I used Star Variegated yellow thread, but I only had Superior Bottom Line in black. I just wasn't happy with adjusting the tensions, to get a good stitch and yet minimal show-through on the top with the black from the bobbin. Grrrr. So I loaded a bobbin with the yellow. It's working a lot better now. I'm not sure I really like the yellow on the back because of the print, and i think it looks busy. My hubby, the honest-to-the-point-of-bluntness-New Yorker, told me it looks fine, and if he didn't think so, he'd tell me. Even from across the room.

I just had to force myself to this. It has been a big nervous hang up for me, these background flames. And yet nothing else seemed appropriate for fire trucks!
Maybe it's just because it's completely free-hand and I just am not good with free handing anything! And I'm still scared that it will look awful !

So here you go, you let me know.


  1. I think it looks great. And I used that backing fabric in Jammer's fire truck quilt. Don't be so hard on yourself.