Monday, November 4, 2013

November Goals, one finish already!

November blew in with a chill--3 inches of snow yesterday, Daylight Savings is over, and we woke up to a cold, chilly, Monday morning!

And I feel a celebration coming on (ok, my little guy watches a lot of Team Umizoomi on Nick Jr):

I finished a quilt top!
My hubby's fire station quilt top is now finished! Here's a sneak peek:


My main goal for November: Get it quilted!
A--what designs to quilt where
B--how I'm going to quilt it! Am I just going to try and use my Bernina, or try to hunt up a longarm to borrow or use?
This is the largest quilt that I have made so far, at about 73 x 92".
C--what fabric I'm going to use for backing!

Look at all that lovely negative space in the borders! Gotta keep going on my Craftsy classes for Quilting Large Quilts in a Small Machine, and Angela Walter's Dot-to-Dot Quilting. Last night I was watching Dot-to-Dot and sketching:





Other goals for this month:
1-- Today, I need to cut charm squares for the Kate Spain Charm Swap.
2--Piece more Swoon blocks.
3--Gather templates and print foundations for the baby's quilt.
4--find some dark grey for the baby's quilt. Here's why:


Here's my plan on Quilt-Pro software. It's the program I use to plan and design my quilts.
I've decided on the grey/yellow palette. I'm having a hard time finding a good darker-medium grey for accents and sashes.  I ordered some fabrics, but the grey isn't dark enough.
I've wanted to use Michael Miller Fairy Frost for some time, so when I saw it on sale at Kim's Fabric Outlet on Facebook, I jumped at the chance.


Look at the extra goodies I got, too, the Riley Blake Dots, and the blue snowflakes, and that grey swirl.


She sent me the wrong grey--too pale! She sent the one I ordered, below in the middle, but it still wasn't as dark as I'd hoped. Then I got looking at the scrap of fat quarter I had leftover from the firetruck bumpers (on top of the black below) and realized that was about how dark of a grey that I wanted. *sigh* More searching is necessary. Maybe some Kona solid--to break up all the sparkle.


Anyway, a lot to do, but I'm trying to make it manageable. And as long as I can work through all the numbness in my fingers and wrists, I'll be ok.




3 comments:

  1. You've got a lot of goals. I say rent/borrow a long arm if you can. Having hand problems myself, trying to wrestle something that large through a domestic machine might make your hands worse. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no advice on how to quilt it, but it looks like a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt turned out great and I can't wait to see how you finish it.

    ReplyDelete