Monday, September 3, 2012

Pickles on Labor Day

I love pickles! Sweet, bread-and-butter, and kosher dills are all yummy! I have been buying a lot of pickles and salsa this summer because they're so great to snack on without a lot of calories. Also it's an easy way to get more veggies in my diet!
I don't have my own veggie garden yet, so when my sister, and also my neighbor offer to share out of their gardens, I say "yes, please! And thank you!" But my neighbor shares her zucchini most frequently, so I've made my share of zucchini bread and wanted something different.

My husband has inherited a marinara sauce recipe from his mother, and we've gotten confident in making that, and water-canning the sauce. So now I'm ready to expand my food-preserving repertoire. Pickles!
I found a zucchini bread-and-butter pickle recipe in the USDA Guide to Freezing and Preserving, and went to work after grocery shopping and the city festival parade. Ta-da! I can't wait to try them in 6 weeks.
Aren't my quilty towels cute!??

1 comment:

  1. How did you know that I was thinking about this over this past weekend myself? I am in the mood to create with food and over the coming weeks I hope to do a bunch of it too. Now I just need to get a small freezer to hold all the goodies.

    ReplyDelete